How to Make a Pom Pom: 11 Easy Ways
Do you want to embellish the items in your wardrobe? Even a basic garment becomes special when pompom is attached. Add some playfulness and make your ordinary outfit outlandish with these fluffy balls. Making pompom has never been easier!
Can I make DIY pompoms? Yes, you can! It is effortless to make, and you don’t need any special tools. There are many different ways to craft it. Each of them is successful, so you should choose the one that works for you. Everything you need you probably have already had. Find an appropriate method and let the fun begin!
How to Make a Pom Pom for a Hat
You can use toilet paper rolls or a cardboard cutout, a fork or chair legs, or even a traditional pompom maker. The possibilities are infinite. Think about its size before you choose the technique. Each of them includes using yarn and scissors.
The size of the pattern will dictate the size of the finished ball. Choosing toilet roll as supply creates relatively large ones while using a fork makes quite small balls.
If you don’t have enough time to experiment or don’t prefer DIY crafts, visit Amazon and buy online in a few steps. It offers handcrafted items made by masterful Mexican artisans. If you need beautiful pompoms enhanced with aglets, don’t look further!
We have pulled together a list of different making methods, giving pompom making step-by-step instructions to craft! Here we go!
1. Toilet Paper Rolls for Making Pop Pom
- yarn of choice
- 2 toilet paper rolls.
If you are wondering how to make a massive pompom bow:
- Use two toilet paper rolls and lay them together.
- Wrap yarn around the tubes until you make a considerable amount, then cut the fiber at its end. More yarn – more puffiness!
- Use ribbon and tie it between rounds in a temporary knot.
- Tenderly push the yarn to one end of the tube and carefully hold the ribbon to secure fibers that are holden together.
- Replace it with another roll, and when you’re done, tie secure thread tightly and cut around the edges of the balls. Trim to form preferred shape and finished!
Image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/686024955710962578/
2. Making Pompom Using Fork
- A fork
When you need to make a small pom pom, a fork is a great tool.
- Wrap the yarn around spokes and get the desired volume.
- Use one fiber and pull through center tines. Bind the secure junction.
- Cut up strands on both sides while on the fork.
- Pull it gently, trim if you want, and you are ready to embellish gifts!
Image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/424323596124347100/
3. Make Pom Pom Using Chair Legs
- Yarn of choice
- 2 chairs.
Chair legs are used as a replacement for toilet paper rolls.
- Press the legs as close together as you can. It would be easier if you lay the chairs down.
- Wrap yarn around them.
- Use another fiber and tie toward the center (between legs), and gently push the string amount from the end of chair legs.
- When finished, tie it tightly. Slit each half at the edge and trim.
4. All You Need Are Your Hands: Maximum Volume with Minimum Equipment
- Yarn and
It is quite similar to previous techniques.
- Envelop the thread around hand in wanted quantity.
- Use another ribbon and tie tentative node in the center, identical to other procedures.
- Remove amount from hand, cut endings, and yes – you made it!
5. DIY Pompom with Cardboard Disc: Double Creativity – Double Fun
- 2 pieces of cardboard
- A circle template (a glass) can be necessary, but you can draw by your hand.
First, make a cardboard pattern:
- Push the cardboard pieces together.
- Put the glass on them and draw a circle. The giant glass is, the bigger ball will be.
- Draw a smaller one in the middle of the rounds. The distance between the inner and outer circle will also define how big the bubble will be.
Note: Make sure the smaller circle is not too big. It can aggravate the process when it comes to pushing thread of frame.
- Cut slash from the outer circle to the smaller ones, and carve the mini round. Then incise a slit from inner to the outer scope, and you’ve finished! Now, you are ready to create DIY pompoms!
Image source: https://www.gathered.how/knitting-and-crochet/crochet/how-to-make-a-pompom/
How to Use Cardboard Maker?
- Enwrap the string. Density plays a crucial role – consider how much puffiness you want and put it following yarn volume. When finished, cut the fiber.
- Use another ribbon and push it between cardboards.
- Tie it ticky. Repeat several times to secure the knot’s strength.
- Remove the cardboard, and your fluffy ball is ready to make fun!
6. Making Pompoms in Bulk: Quickly to Many Balls
- A large amount of yarn
- Any piece of furniture with legs an adequate distance apart and space to bring the yarn around (a bench, table, etc.)
- Embroidery thread.
- Tie the end of the strand around one of the legs of your piece of furniture.
- Envelop around the two legs. It is essential to make a considerable amount. You can involve your kids to help you with and have fun at the same time!
- It would help if you had various pieces of embroidery thread as secure ribbons now. Decide on the size of balls and tie the rope as a center of imaginary rounds as tight as possible. Wrap the yarn around twice before pulling tight, then complete with the tense knot.
- You can use a measuring fiber to measure the end cut at both sides appropriately. Incise straight down in the middle of each segment in two parts to get as linear cut as possible. You made your items!
- The next step is to trim and fluff them. Your thumb and forefinger should be put in the center of the ball – each on a different side, to get proportionately cut.
7. Making Pompoms with a Card: Best Method for Your Youngest
- A piece of cardboard
This method produces limp pom poms, so the trim is always needed.
- Wrap the thread around the cardboard.
- It would be best if you were careful when pushing the yarn amount to the end of the card because it is too loosey and can be unwrapped easily.
- Intently tie the secure ribbon around the center of yarn volume and make a tight knot.
Your children would love it!
Image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/119556565092498009/
8. Pompom Making with Cardboard Ring – Let It Bloom
These days there is no decoration without these pretty little blossoms. You can make a garland or use every piece as embellishment. They fit everywhere!
All you need:
- We recommend using some silky strips (organza is our choice)
- Cardboard ring
The process is straightforward:
- Draw the ring on the cardboard and cut it.
- Wrap the yarn all around the hoop until you’ve loaded up your cardboard with a good snuggle of it. The more you enfold, the more bloomy marbles you get.
- When the wrapping is finished, cut the strips on the edge of the cardboard ring and bloom!
Image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/383931936980813733/
9. Make Pom Pom Using Your Fingers: Small and Puffy
Here is one of the formulas to make details only with yarn and scissors. It is similar to the Hand Method but creates small items. It can’t be simpler!
- Use tape and lean on your finger.
- Muffle the yarn above it and consider you made a lot of coils.
- Make a probationary hub and push the thread to the end of the finger.
- Knot tightly, fold it, so the tape is at the edge, and cut fibers at the farthest from the tape point.
These bubbles are a little bit shaped, so trim it and enjoy the details!
10. From Hank to Aiglet: Quicky to Big Powder Ball
Do you need a vast pom pom in a minute? Just make a tight knot in the center of the yarn, cut the edges, and that’s it! Trim if you like, and make it fluffier!
Image source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/136585801177841825/?d=t&mt=login
11. Pompom Maker: Make it Simply
You can buy fabric makers and simplify the whole process. Pop pom maker comes with simple instructions, so it is effortless to craft. Find the model you like and make those puffy details!
Image source: https://mypoppet.com.au/makes/how-to-use-a-pom-pom-maker/
How to Make Pompom Fluffier?
Use the hairbrush or barber and rub it. Try not to press too hard because you can rip the fibers. Rubbing is the final stage, so be patient, and you will enjoy results!
Image source: https://www.aubreeoriginals.com/how-to-make-fluffy-pom-poms/
How to Do a Multicolored Details?
It depends on you to find the desired colorful yarns, mix them in the wanted proportion, and choose one of the making methods above. You can incorporate different fiber structures and add more fun to the bubble. Dive into fantasy and feel the magic!
Favorite Aiglet Crafts
Perhaps you are into making these puffy magic balls, but you have no idea how to use them when completed. They are decorative by themselves and can embellish basic things. Here are some ideas:
- Make an aiglet scarf. It would be best if you had giant bubbles for this purpose. Sew them together and melt with puffiness.
- Shoe clips can be handmade. Choose the color and amplify your style.
- Tassel garland can be an impressive decoration for your Christmas tree. Craft and decorate it with your preferences.
- Don’t waste your money on buying gift ties. Create your own and let your friends be further surprised!
- You study with more fun when you have terrific bookmarkers? Garnish the basic one and make learning more enjoyable!
- Do you wonder how to make a pompom for a hat? Select the adequate color and fitting material, and choose the pattern working for you! Find its place and stitch it. No one will have the same!