10 Best Bottle Sterilizers (2021) – Reviews, Buying Guide & FAQs
You all know that sterilizing everything that goes into a baby’s mouth is vital to their wellbeing. Mothers and grandmothers boiled a pot of water to keep their babies safe. Fortunately, due to technology, you don’t need to do that. That’s where a bottle sterilizer comes in. Eliminating germs from the bottle you use every few hours, day or night, keeps your little one safe. There are many options available on Amazon, and no matter what option you pick, it does a commendable job successfully. If you seek to upgrade your baby gear with one of the best baby bottle sterilizer options on the market, this guide is ideal.
Best Bottle Sterilizers in a Glance
The buying guide allows you to identify the features you need to ensure you obtain a quality product. This knowledge will make you purchase a bottle sterilizer that meets your requirements while providing your baby’s health and safety.
Things to Consider before Buying
Below is what to look for when buying a good bottle sterilizer:
- Ease of use – Bottle sterilizers should be easy to use – in case you’re scratching your head over the instructions or the numerous buttons, move on in your search to find something more simple;
- Size – You want the model to be large enough to fit all your bottles. Moms who are breastfeeding and only use bottles occasionally can get by with a compact unit that holds only a few bottles;
- Performance – Mothers who opt to feed their babies formula will have to sterilize bottles frequently during the day. Therefore, they’ll want to look for a larger sterilizer that can handle a higher number of bottles;
- Price – If your cash flow is a bit squeezed now that you’re a parent, the price will be an important consideration. Microwave sterilizers are usually more affordable than other types on the market;
- Drying – Microwave devices work rapidly, but the bottles are left wet, and they’ll need to be dried after they’re taken out, giving an extra step to your workload;
- Kitchen space – Microwave units won’t require any room on their kitchen counters. They can be placed in a cabinet until you need them, and don’t need an outlet for working. If you choose an electric one, you’ll have to make some space on your counter for it.
There are three types of bottle sterilizers to consider:
- Electric steam – Countertop bottle sterilizers leverage electric steam power and reach higher temperatures than boiling water to destroy bacteria and germs. They tend to be the fastest and easiest solution, particularly if you plan on sterilizing items frequently;
- Microwave steam – Microwave bottle sterilizers also harness the power of steam but are an excellent option for those who are tight on space or seeking an affordable alternative to electric steam devices;
- UV light – Ultraviolet light disinfection is widely used in the medical, dental, and pharmaceutical fields and kills germs and bacteria by changing their chromosomes and preventing cell division. Bottle sterilizers are beginning to implement this efficient, high-tech technique, eradicating the mess of steam sterilization;
- Top 10 Best Baby Bottles for Gas, Colic and Flux
- 10 Ideal Baby Cribs for Safety and Comfort
- 10 Best Infant Car Seats for Your Lifestyle and Wallet
- 7 Best Baby Food Grinders You’ll Like in 2021
- Top 10 Best Baby Walkers to Keep Your Baby Safe & Happy
- 10 Best Baby Monitors for the Day and Night
- 10 Perfect Baby Thermometers for Fever Detection
- 15 Best Baby Gates for Doorways and Stairs
- 10 Best Baby Food Makers (2021 Reviews & Buying Guide)
- 10 Best Manual Breast Pumps on the Market
10. Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags – Best for Budget
Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags are ultra-convenient and sanitize bottles quickly, efficiently, and thoroughly. All you need is a microwave and a little water. The box contains five bags that can be reused 20 times before the seal begins to lose its integrity. Like other products, they kill 99.9% of germs and best of all, you can keep them sealed until the bottles are required. You can toss in breast pump shields, dummies, nipples, feeding gear, and they’ll get a burst of cleaning steam too. These take up barely any space – they’re excellent for use at home but work just as well on trips, as long as you have access to a microwave.
- Portable and affordable;
- Compact, convenient, and super easy to operate;
- The product is reusable up to 20 times;
- BPA- and phthalates-free;
- Disinfect your bottles in just 3 minutes.
- They might melt breast pump tubing.
9. Munchkin Steam Microwave Sterilizer – Best for Travel
Munchkin Steam Microwave Sterilizer has an open-away latch to help prevent steam burns. The heat-resistant handles may make mothers feel safer taking this unit out of the microwave. Parents who want a multi-functional steamer should like that this product can also be used on teething rings, pacifiers, and small toys. It fits all standard-sized microwaves and includes tongs to ensure the safe removal of the hot bottles. Munchkin bottle sterilizer is ideal for moms who want a baby bottle sanitizer’s benefits but don’t want to spend a lot or lose counter space.
- Works for both wide-mouth and standard sized bottles;
- Fits up to 4 bottles and 2 breast shields at the same time;
- Affordable and sterilizes in two minutes;
- Compatible with a broad spectrum of baby bottles;
- Fits in all standard microwaves.
- The bottles don’t stand up well in the sanitizer – they tend to fall over.
8. Philips Avent 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer – Best Countertop
If you hunt for a large bottle sanitizer, then Philips Avent 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer is the ideal option. This electric sterilizer for baby bottles has a short sterilizing process of just 6 minutes, so you can change items and do several batches in under 20 minutes. It can hold up to 6 bottles per cycle and accepts bottles of all sizes and shapes. You can also use it to sanitize bottle accessories, teething rings, pacifiers, and breast pump parts. While it doesn’t include any extra features such as a built-in bottle warmer or drying, its larger capacity than other models in this price range is a big selling point, particularly for parents with twins.
- Can hold up to 6 bottles per sterilizing cycle;
- Easy to clean with an automatic shut off;
- Six-minute sterilizing cycle;
- Kills 99.9 percent of germs;
- Convenient for all wide neck and narrow neck bottles.
- Doesn’t come with a built-in bottle warmer or drying feature.
7. EVLAs UV Light Sanitizer Sterilizer Box – Best Multitasking
EVLAs UV Light Sanitizer Sterilizer Box is an award-winning product. Like the Wabi, it needs not just be for baby products. Manufacturer cites a quite-reasonable time-to-99%-disinfection of 11 minutes. It can fit Dr. Brown’s 8oz bottle, but it can hold multiple 4oz bottles and all the extra pacifiers and other things you want to be cleaned very comfortably. It’s large, but not so large as difficult to put away and take out if you wanted to store it. More than likely, though, it’ll need to retain a dedicated space in your kitchen. It doesn’t come with any accessories. And you might need a replacement UV bulb eventually.
- High-tech UV sterilizing without drying;
- Multi-purpose and super-easy to use;
- No cleaning or descaling;
- Features digital touch screen;
- 100% money-back guarantee.
6. Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer – Most Versatile
Moms like Dr. Brown’s bottles for its gas-reducing and anti-colic design but often aren’t so happy about all the extra components to clean. Luckily, Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer is specifically engineered to hold all those extra parts and up to 4 bottles in a custom tray, getting them bacteria- and germ-free in just minutes. Even if you don’t use Dr. Brown’s bottles, this microwave bottle sanitizer holds both standard and wide-neck (as well as tall and small) bottles. It comes with tongs to remove the sterilized items for drying (to guard you against burns and the items from contamination) and works in only 5 minutes.
- Compact, portable, and dishwasher safe;
- No descaling required;
- Effectively kills all harmful household germs and bacteria;
- Includes tongs and removable tray;
- Sterilizes in just five minutes.
- You must have a microwave to use this unit.
5. Dr. Brown’s Deluxe Bottle Sterilizer – Most Efficient
In only 12 minutes, Dr. Brown’s Deluxe Bottle Sterilizer eliminates 99.9% of germs. It shuts off when the cycle is finished, and the bottles are clean and ready to go. The roomy interior holds up to 6 bottles on an upper tray and comes with a separate lower tray to hold accessories such as pacifiers and nipples. Included tongs make sure you won’t get burned if you reach in to remove items while they’re still hot. It’s worth noting that this product requires distilled water; otherwise, mineral deposits can build up on the heating unit and peel off.
- Quiet and easy to operate;
- Compatible with many baby bottle brands;
- Automatic shut-off features;
- Made from BPA-free plastic;
- Comes with LED lights.
- Distilled water is required.
4. Philips Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer – Best Microwave
The Philips Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer is BPA-free, affordable, and efficient. In under two minutes, it eradicates 99.9% of the bacteria that could harm your sweet one. It can hold bottles, breast pump parts, and feeding accessories. This unit fits into most microwaves, and if you keep the lid closed until right before you need the items inside, everything will remain sterilized for 24 hours. Mothers will appreciate that this plastic product is easy to pack for weekend getaways, and it won’t take up much storage room at your home. It doesn’t include any complicated instructions – anyone can use it.
- Compact and lightweight;
- Destroys 99.9% harmful bacteria;
- Super-quick sterilization (in only two minutes);
- Easy to use and more affordable than other products on the market;
- Holds a variety of bottles, toys, or breast pump parts.
- Its size may be too large for many microwaves.
3. Tommee Tippee Steri-Steam Electric Sterilizer – Best Electric Steam
This product may be the ideal choice for someone who wants to sterilize many bottles at once. Thanks to its space-saving design, mammas with limited counter space may like that this device doesn’t seem too big given how many bottles it holds. Also, the lid can be flipped over to serve as a germ-free area to prepare bottles. It can fit up to six bottles and accessories, and it gets them sterilized in five minutes. Similar to other units, if you leave the lid locked, you can store your sterilized bottles for up to 24 hours in it. Plus, the Tommee Tippee Steri-Steam Electric Sterilizer comes with a 0-6 month pacifier and nipple tongs.
- Easy to store and clean;
- Cools down quickly so you can get the bottle right away if you need them;
- Sterilizes in just five minutes;
- Contents remain sterile for 24 hours;
- Takes up minimal counter space.
- Needs to be frequently descaled, especially if you live in a hard water area.
2. Wabi UV-C Sterilizer and Dryer – Best UV
The Wabi Baby UV-C Sterilizer & Dryer uses gentle heat and ultraviolet rays to safely sterilize and dry baby bottles and other feeding supplies. It sports dual UV bulbs that efficiently eliminate 99.9% of harmful bacteria. With a single tap of the button, this machine automatically sterilizes and dries bottles in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it has an optional storage setting that activates UV sterilization for one minute every two hours. That ensures that all your feeding accessories remain sanitized during the day. This baby bottle sterilizer and dryer is made from BPA-free polypropylene plastic. After use, you should give this unit a wipe-down using a clean towel.
- Designed with a simple touchscreen that allows you sterilize, dry and store items;
- Multipurpose UV sterilization and space-saving sterile storage;
- The items are automatically dried up once the drying cycle is finished;
- The long drying cycle minimizes the probability of getting burns;
- Made of BPA-free polypropylene plastic
- Costs six times more in contrast to microwave sterilizers.
1. Baby Brezza Sterilizer Dryer – Editor’s Choice
The Baby Brezza Sterilizer Dryer is a 2-in-1 device that thoroughly sterilizes and dries baby bottles and all their accessories. This baby bottle sterilizer system is ideal for breastfeeding moms since it enables you to dry and sterilize everything. It accommodates up to 6 bottles of any shape or size and can also be utilized on breast pump parts. Sterilization lasts 8 minutes, and if you can leave it for longer, all of the excess condensations will be dried up with one of the multiple drying modes.
All parts are 100% BPA-free and can keep bottles sterilized for up to 24 hours if the unit isn’t opened. It features an automatic drying mode you can set up, along with an auto shut off function.
- It can hold up to 6 bottles and their accessories;
- Once you’ve run the unit, the bottles are sterile for up to 24 hours;
- It can sterilize either plastic or glass bottles;
- It has a drying option, so you aren’t stuck with wet bottles;
- You need to refill the water every time you use it.
You should always sterilize new bottles before utilizing them, and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) recommends sterilizing bottles and parts once a day if the baby is younger than three months, has a weakened immune system or was born prematurely. If your physician has recommended sterilizing bottles between feedings, you’ll be able to load and run a sterilizer without having to boil water every time.
Plus, A bottle sanitizer can be handy if you are traveling. However, note that you’ll still need to clean your bottles and accessories before sterilizing them because putting unwashed bottles into one of these appliances may cause residue to build up.
Depending on your sterilizer model, you’ll follow different methods for getting those perfectly clean, fresh bottle.
- Ensure your microwave is clean;
- Fill the baby’s bottles halfway with water;
- Set them in the microwave;
- Place rings, nipples, and accessories in a glass bowl filled with water deep enough to cover them;
- Microwave on High for 90 seconds;
- Let cooling sufficiently before removing it from the microwave.
If you’ve got countertop space, an electric steam sterilizer may be an easy solution for you.
- Place bottles in sterilizer;
- Add according to the unit’s instructions;
- Press Start.
This is one of the simplest methods of all. Bacteria, germs, and viruses are eliminated using the power of ultraviolet light.
- Place the bottle in sterilizer;
- Press Start.
Yes, the baby bottles will need to be washed before placing them in the sterilizer. This device is designed to remove germs, not particles of breastmilk or formula left behind.
These are the top options to try out for all mammas who need the best bottle sterilizer. They’re powerful and reliable devices that will sterilize by killing up to 99.9% of bacteria and germs. Secondly, they’re also versatile devices that can accept all bottle sizes. They can be used for sterilizing breast milk baby bottles, pacifiers, liner bottles, and water baths, among others. They are also user-friendly units with an LCD control panel for easy control. Ultimately, they feature the automatic power-off or auto-shutoff, making them safe for use even throughout the night hours.