10 Best Baby Shampoos for Cradles, Eczema & Bedtime
Are you Googling for the best baby shampoo? After searching the market, we bought and tested the top 10 baby shampoos available on Amazon. Our baby gear experts examined each one for ease of use for parents, along with fragrance and eco-health, as well. Want to know more about the shampoos for your baby? Read on!
Our Top Picks
Best Baby Shampoos Reviews (2022)
10. Cetaphil Baby Wash & Shampoo – Best Budget
If you seek the most affordable baby shampoo, Cetaphil Baby Wash & Shampoo (7.8 ounces) is ideal for you. The organic calendula included in the shampoo helps to clean and leave a fresh scent. Plus, this product contains no paraben, colorant, mineral oil, or hypoallergenic. It’ll help to clean your baby’s hair and skin without drying it. And this product did past a dermatologist test to confirm suitable for infants.
- Free from colorants, mineral oil, and parabens;
- Hypoallergenic and non-drying;
- Contains organic calendula;
- Trusted and tested by dermatologists;
- Tear-free and comes with a gentle formula.
- Features a heavy fragrance.
9. Johnson’s Baby Shampoo – Best Classic
If you search for an excellent, classic shampoo for your baby that does the job, smells nice, and has safe ingredients, you can’t surpass Johnson & Johnson’s updated tear-free baby shampoo. Also, it contains no phthalates, parabens, dyes, or sulfates. Johnson’s Baby Shampoo still contains fragrance and may not be the #1 choice if your baby has super sensitive skin. However, at around $7 for a big bottle (27.1 ounces), the price is impossible to beat.
- Tear-free and hypoallergenic formula that’s USDA certified organic;
- Contains a fragrance that smells good without harmful additives;
- Affordable and comes with great pump dispenser;
- Completely hypoallergenic and soap-free;
- Clinically proven.
- It won’t produce suds and bubbles.
8. Johnson’s Baby Bedtime Bath – Best for Bedtime
One of the most popular brands in baby skincare products is Johnson’s. Besides the traditional baby wash, Johnson’s developed a bedtime shampoo that will help soothe the baby with its calming Naturalcalm aromas that have been clinically proven to help babies fall asleep quicker and stay asleep longer. Johnson’s Baby Bedtime Bath (27.1 ounces) is tear-free, paraben- and phthalate-free, and is pediatrician- and dermatologist-tested. People remark this affordable product works superb for newborns, and many have noticed better sleeping after applying it.
- No-tear shampoo with natural calm aromas;
- Johnson’s No More Tears formula;
- Dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic;
- Free from sulfates, parabens, and dyes;
- Gently cleanses to leave delicate skin feeling healthy.
- The foam isn’t as strong as some of the top competitors.
- 10 Best Baby Walkers to Keep Your Baby Safe & Happy
- 10 Superb Baby Monitors for the Day and Night
- 10 Incredible Baby Thermometers for Fever Detection
- 15 Excellent Baby Gates for Doorways and Stairs
- 10 Best Bottle Sterilizers (2022) – Reviews, Guide & FAQs
- 10 Ideal Baby Bottles for Gas, Colic and Flux
- 10 Amazing Baby Cribs for Safety and Comfort
- 10 Fantastic Infant Car Seats for Your Lifestyle and Wallet
- 7 Perfect Baby Food Grinders You’ll Like in 2022
- 10 Best Baby Food Makers (2022 Reviews & Buyer’s Guide)
7. Honest Shampoo & Body Wash – Best Smelling
This gentle 2-in-1 cleanser is made with a blend of coconut oil, jojoba protein, and quinoa extract. Honest Shampoo & Body Wash is hypoallergenic and free of sulfates, phthalates, and parabens. Plus, it’s available in three naturally derived scents, including sweet orange vanilla, sweet almond, and lavender. Its design is excellent if you’re looking to incorporate this cleanser into the bathwater but may be less convenient for one-handed operation. Each bottle contains 10 ounces of product, and this is the best smelling baby shampoo overall.
- Contains natural ingredients;
- Gentle formula with plenty of foam;
- Smells fantastic;
- Doesn’t include synthetic fragrances, dyes, or other harmful ingredients;
- Hypoallergenic product.
- Not ideal for dry hair.
6. Aquaphor Baby Wash and Shampoo – Best for Dry Skin
As a fragrance-free option, the Aquaphor Baby Wash and Shampoo (25.4 ounces) may be a good fit for babies with dry skin. The formula is updated with chamomile essence and provitamin B5 to calm skin, and it’s free of dyes, parabens, preservatives. The product has a slimy consistency, produces some suds, and creates a light lather. Also, the bottle is a cinch to pump, which is useful for parents. Considering the quantity for the price, this option is reasonably affordable.
- Soap- and tear-free;
- Ingredients that can soothe irritations;
- Rinses easily and hydrates skin ;
- Clinically proven formula;
- Free of parabens, preservatives, and dyes.
- Contains synthetic chemicals.
5.Mustela Foam Shampoo – Best for Cradles
In case you’re seeing cradle cap on baby’s head, you’ll want to try Mustela Foam Shampoo. Sold in a 5-ounce pump and made of 99% plant-based ingredients, the formula contains the proper amount of salicylic acid to eliminate dryness and treat flaky, scaly skin. The #1 product for treating cradle cap, is also hypoallergenic and specifically formulated to minimize allergic reactions. This organic baby shampoo is in a small size, and this is a factor worth considering for the price.
- Hypoallergenic and free of toxic ingredients;
- Removes cradle cap;
- Rinses out well;
- Dermatologist tested;
- Contains 99% natural ingredients.
- Small bottle for the price.
4. Aveeno Baby Wash and Shampoo – Best for Eczema
If your baby struggles with serious eczema, the Aveeno Baby Wash and Shampoo (33 ounces) will successfully solve that problem. The best baby shampoo for eczema is formulated with natural oat extract, which helps to soothe irritated skin and lock in moisture. While the wash cleanses the skin, it doesn’t contain soap. This means it won’t over-dry the skin, which can further worsen eczema. It’s also tear-free, so it won’t irritate their eyes. Still, it does contain a light fragrance that has the potential to irritate super-sensitive skin.
- Oat-based formulas can offer a gentler clean than plant or oil shampoos;
- The oatmeal blend combined with glycerin is excellent for moisturizing;
- The lightly scented formula smells incredibly fresh;
- Help control skin conditions such as eczema;
- Rich lather formula.
- Includes sodium benzoate that is linked with ADHD.
3. Mustela Gentle Cleansing Gel – Best for Newborns
Mustela Gentle Cleansing Gel (16.90 ounces) contains a molecule extracted from avocado, an all-natural ingredient that protects your baby’s thin skin barrier, locks in moisture, and prevents their skin from drying out. Vitamin B5 also contributes to efficient cleansing without stripping the natural oils from the baby’s scalp and skin. The formula doesn’t include soap, which can be drying. This very best baby shampoo for newborns also tear-free, so it won’t sting if the suds get in the baby’s eyes.
- Ideal for all types of skin conditions;
- No nasty chemicals;
- 90% plant-based ingredients;
- Tested under dermatological and pediatric control;
2. California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo & Body Wash – Best Natural
Made from sustainably harvested soap bark, California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo & Body Wash (19 ounces) is the best natural baby shampoo on the market. The fragrance-free wash cleans without drying and contains aloe vera and organic calendula to moisturize further and calm, making it ideal for little ones with sensitive skin. The product is available in different formulations, from) calming (which contains lavender and clary sage essential oils in diluted, safe-to-use doses) to super-sensitive (without fragrance).
- Doesn’t contain sulfates and other harmful ingredients;
- The gentle formula leaves skin feeling soft;
- Tear- and fragrance-free;
- Perfect for babes with sensitive skin;
- 2-in-1 product.
- Very expensive.
1. Burt’s Bees Shampoo & Wash – Editor’s Choice
Burt’s Bees Shampoo & Wash is the best baby shampoo and body wash that doesn’t contain parabens or phthalates. It’s made from 98.9% natural ingredients, like soy protein to nourish skin and protect against dryness. It comes in 3 different scent options: original, lavender, and fragrance-free, and is available at most large drugstores. A bottle contains 12 ounces of liquid, and it can be bought in singles or in packs of three.
What sets this product apart from the competition is its usage of soy-based formula. Brands like Johnson’s and Aveeno use oat- and plant-based recipes, while soy blend is more effective but still safe and gentle.
- Free from phthalates and parabens;
- Contains soy protein, oat flour, and aloe;
- Natural vanilla and lavender fragrance;
- Tear-free, non-drying, and non-irritating;
- Dermatologically tested by pediatricians.
- Very mild fragrance.
Above, we have a list of the 10 best baby shampoos for 2022 with a detailed review for your baby. However, if you still can make a choice, refer to the buying guide below.
Key Features to Consider
Baby shampoo should do several jobs well. Here’s what to consider when choosing baby bath products:
- Sensitive versus gentle – Gentle baby bath product will be mild on your baby’s hair, and, with very rare exceptions, all baby shampoos are made to be gentle. Sensitive shampoos are for babies who you know have allergies or particular sensitivities – they’ll have more limited ingredients. They’ll also be gentle, but with an extra level of sensitivity for the baby’s hair and skin;
- Natural ingredients – One way to mitigate the risk of harsh chemicals often in shampoos is to avoid chemicals entirely. Finding a shampoo wholly made of natural ingredients will help ensure that your baby’s scalp will be less likely to suffer damage from hair washing. It’s also less probably that your baby will have an allergic reaction to specific ingredients if those ingredients are all-natural;
- No-tears – Natural and gentle are superb qualities in shampoo, but they don’t necessarily mean that it’s also a no-tear formula. Plenty of natural ingredients will still make the baby tear up, and just because a shampoo is gentle on the baby’s hair doesn’t mean it’ll be gentle on the baby’s eyes. If you’re searching for something that won’t make your child cry and scream if it gets into her eyes, look for baby shampoos that are specifically labeled, No-Tears to be sure that’s what you’re getting;
- Cradle cap and dry scalp – If your baby’s scalp has dry and flaky skin, it’s called cradle cap, and it’s widespread in newborns who go from the submerged moisture of amniotic fluid to the dry air in the outside world. There are more intense moisturizers that are great at preventing your baby’s scalp from drying out too much;
- Curls – Frizzy hair needs different treatment than straight hair. To prevent curly hair from drying out, you won’t want to wash it as frequently, but even when you wash it, applying a curl-specific shampoo will allow the baby’s curls to stay uninformed and lush. Otherwise, you may find the baby’s hair tangling and curly each day;
- 2-in-1 product – These are the baby care products that come bundled in one pack of shampoo and baby body wash. It’s a cost-saving option as you can use one product instead of two. It’ll do both tasks as one;
- Eczema – If your sweetheart has eczema, you need to look for a certified organic, fragrance-free product and has natural ingredients like oatmeal. It’s very good at reducing irritation and inflammation, and it nourishes the skin.
Before purchasing a baby care product, consider the skin type of your little one. See how sensitive they’re and whether they need special care against eczema and cradle cap. Here are two main types of baby shampoos you can look for:
- Mild baby shampoos – They come without irritating preservatives, synthetic fragrances or artificial colors suitable for babies. It’s wise to pick mild shampoos without synthetic fragrances, artificial colors, or annoying preservatives. Look for the products with the least preservatives. Always check the label before buying it.
- All-natural shampoos – These shampoos have natural ingredients and the least amount of chemicals, including essential oils, jojoba oil, fruit extracts, and botanical surfactants. There is no lack of organic and all-natural shampoos out there, and most of them are great for hair and scalp. You can go for shampoos with natural scents from herbs like chamomile and lavender, which serve as calming aspects for the body.
Though even a very young baby can handle being bathed, you should take extra care early on in their life. Until the umbilical cord falls off, babies should be given sponge baths rather than a regular bath in a tub or sink until about one week old.
As adults, we tend to bathe or shower daily. You can do this for babies and infants, but the younger your child is, the less often they should be washed. The baby’s skin is fragile, which means it needs to be treated with care.
When you run out of shampoo for your little one, you might see a new product that may seem better. While it may be safe to change the current formula you’re utilizing, be mindful of ingredients and irritations. If you notice skin issues, always switch back to the product you started on.
When looking at ingredients, always be sure that there’s no alcohol present. Alcohol can eliminate moisture, which can lead to dead skin. None of the shampoos we’ve recommended here include any alcohol.
Surfing the world of baby shampoos can be tricky with so many options on the market. Luckily, we’ve done the research and try multiple products to provide you with the information you need to for your shampoo decision-making. Our baby gear experts are confident there is a baby shampoo here that will meet your requirements, and you’ll be bathing your little love in no time.