10 Best Pacifiers to Soothe a Fussy Baby in a Blink of an Eye
According to parents worldwide, pacifiers are total lifesavers. And the best one, of course, is the one that your baby loves the most. Finding such a gem may be a challenging task that requires trying a couple of examples before choosing a particular one that meets all your and your baby’s needs.
Shopping for pacifiers involves patience, including knowing some crucial aspects such as pacifier types, uses, materials they are made of, and more. The more information you have at hand, the better you’ll know where to look and how to find the best baby pacifier for your fussy newborn.
In this article, you’ll learn more about pacifier types, its advantages and disadvantages, and the 10 top-rated pacifiers for babies. Let’s begin!
How to Choose the Best Baby Pacifiers?
As we mentioned earlier, the baby is the boss of the pacifier-choosing business. Therefore, the best would be to buy a few different options and try them all until the little boss says yes, this is the one!
When shopping for a pacifier, always consider the baby’s age and whether they are breastfed or not. That way, you can narrow your options and find the most appropriate pick much easier. Even when you get the best pacifier for your baby, don’t forget to purchase a couple of back-ups just in case it gets lost somehow (and it will!).
Don’t be surprised if you notice that your baby doesn’t like a pacifier. Infants may not be interested in them, and you shouldn’t be worried about it. They will eventually find a way to self-soothe, which can be advantageous later when they’re older.
6 Basic Types of Pacifiers
There are different types of pacifiers for different ages and child’s development. That said, children with a full set of teeth won’t need the same pacifier as newborns. Pacifiers come in various materials and shapes, suitable for different babies’ wishes and preferences.
Here is the list of the 6 basic pacifier types and their most common benefits and uses:
- Orthodontic baby pacifier: These pacifiers have nipples flattened at the bottom and rounded at the top. This type of baby pacifier flattens in the baby’s mouth, providing natural sucking action and reducing teeth development pressure.
- Round-tip baby pacifiers: We are talking about the traditional makes we used to have when we were babies. The idea of the round shape is to mimic an actual nipple, which is why these pacifiers are suitable for breastfed babies to prevent nipple confusion.
- Silicone baby pacifiers: These pacifiers are a bit sturdier than other makes, but they are easier to clean and are widely available.
- One-piece baby pacifiers: The single-piece design provides ultimate safety, reducing the risk of choking. They are often made out of plastic, silicone, or latex.
- Multiple-piece baby pacifiers: Pacifiers featuring a multiple-piece design are the most popular types on the market. These often have a nipple, a guard, and a ring.
- Latex baby pacifiers: Pacifiers made from latex tend to be soft and flexible, suitable for newborns. However, children with teeth may bite some pieces off accidentally. If your kid has a latex allergy, it’s better to opt for silicone.
It is crucial to know that baby pacifiers come in different sizes. By buying the correct size, your baby is more likely to like it.
What is the Best Pacifier for Babies?
We have chosen the 10 best pacifiers for infants to help exhausted and overwhelming moms and dads soothe their little ones and get them satisfied.
1. Best Pacifiers for Newborns: Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier
A Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier set consists of four pacifiers widely used and recommended by doctors and nurses worldwide. The orthodontic design is specifically made for babies 0-3 months old, encouraging the natural development of teeth and gums. It is made of latex-free silicone that delivers strength, comfort, and durability. It is suitable for kids with latex allergies.
2. Best Pacifiers for Breastfed Babies: Natursutten BPA-Free Natural Rubber Pacifier
Natursutten BPA-Free Natural Rubber Pacifier is a toxin-free baby pacifier that promotes softness. It has a large shield that touches the baby’s nose to mimic a genuine act of breastfeeding. It is available in three sizes to ensure you can find the one that fits your baby’s size and stage of development. It must be hand-washed due to its natural components and soft rubber.
3. Best Orthodontic Pacifier: NUK Orthodontic Pacifiers
NUK Orthodontic Pacifiers feature an extra small nipple, and their lightweight design is specifically convenient for tiny newborn babies. It has an authentic heart-shaped shield that rests under the baby’s nose, including the large holes that won’t let saliva, sweat, or anything else build up around the kid’s cheeks. You can choose between neutral and outer space-inspired designs, suitable for both boys and girls.
4. Best Baby Teething Pacifier: Ryan and Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier
Ryan and Rose Cutie PAT Pacifier works as both pacifier and teething toy. It is made of highly durable silicone that stands up to all the gnawing. It is a safe choice for your baby, who can benefit from a convenient combo design and a soft nipple that promotes healthy palate and teeth development. This teething pacifier is available in an array of gender-neutral colors.
MORE STUFF FOR MOMS AND DADS:
- 10 Best Baby Wraps to Carry Your Newborn in Every Situation (2021 Guide)
- 7 Must-Have Baby Clothes to Enhance Comfort and Cuteness in 2021
- A Dermatologist’s Guide to the 6 Best Baby Sunscreen in 2021
- Top 8 Baby Wipes for Face, Hands, and Diaper Area
- 10 Best Baby Lotions to Nourish, Moisturize & Soothe Gentle Skin
- Top 15 High Chairs for Mess-Free Feedings
- Best Baby Thermometers for Precise Fever Detection
- 10 Best Bottle Sterilizers (2021) – Reviews, Buying Guide & FAQs
- 10 Best Baby Walkers to Keep Your Baby Safe & Entertained
- 10 Best Baby Food Makers for Full Flavor & Nutritious Food
5. Best Nighttime Baby Pacifier: MAM Perfect Glow in the Dark Pacifiers
Pacifiers are easily lost, and finding them during nighttime may be a mission impossible. However, MAM Perfect Pacifiers are so easy-to-spot due to their ability to glow in the dark. You just need to make sure the plastic design on the outside of the shield receives enough brightness when the lights are on so that it can glow when the lights are out. It helps parents find it without turning the lights on and risking waking up the sleeping beauty.
g elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.
6. Best Traveling Baby Pacifier: Mary Meyer Bestever Baby Mat, TingoFlamingo
Your baby needs some kind of entertainment when traveling or relaxing while you’re busy. Mary Meyer Bestever Baby Mat TingoFlamingo is one of the best-stuffed animal and a baby pacifier in one, and its combined design delivers an exceptional soothing sensation and entertainment to your little one. It is suitable for babies 0-6 months, and you can choose among several cute animal picks, enhanced with softness and fluffiness.
7. Best Baby Pacifier for Parents on the Go: Doddle & Co. Pop Pacifier with Built-in Pacifier Case
Pacifiers are prone to falling on the ground, increasing the risk of viruses and bacteria. Luckily, Doddle & Co. Pop Pacifier with Built-in Pacifier Case comes with advanced technology that allows it to retract into its silicone bubble when dropped on the ground. This is essential for situations when you cannot sanitize dirty pacifiers, especially if you’re outside.
8. Best Baby Pacifier for Easily Irritated Skin: MAM Air Pacifiers
If your baby has sensitive or easily irritated skin, you need to ensure you’re using the products that won’t cause further inconveniences. When it comes to pacifiers, you won’t go wrong with MAM Air Set, which is incredibly convenient for breastfed babies with sensitive skin. It has large open-air holes that allow enough breathing room for your little one, letting you see their cute smile.
9. Most Innovative Baby Pacifier: Boon Jewl Orthodontic Silicone Stage Pacifier
Apart from being incredibly unique and innovative, Boon Jewl Orthodontic Silicone Stage Pacifier encourages oral development in newborns. Its gem-shaped silicone nipple helps your baby’s tongue achieve proper placement. It is pretty easy to clean and sanitize, and you’ll love its jewel tones.
10. Best Ergonomic Baby Pacifier: Nanobebe Baby Pacifiers
Nanobebe Baby Pacifiers is more than just sleek and unique. We are talking about an ergonomic paci with a slightly curved shield that comfortably fits between your baby’s nose and chin. The ergonomic design helps the pacifier rest more snuggly against the mouth while preventing sweat and buildup. Its nipple shape will eliminate nipple confusion while breastfeeding.
Pros and Cons of Using Baby Pacifiers
Like everything else, using a baby pacifier has both advantages and disadvantages. Its positive sides include the following:
- Reducing the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- Encouraging breastfeeding, especially in moms with postpartum depression
- Distracting the baby from stressful situations, such as vaccination
- Helping babies thrive
- Easing air travel.
On the other hand, a pacifier may cause some of the following inconveniences:
- Dental problems
- Increased risk of ear infections