Top 15 Best Baby Gates to Make Your Home Childproof
It seems like little ones grow up instantly, and it takes a few moments for your calm baby to become a turbo explorer. In order to be prepared for these transitions, look for a handy baby gate to keep your curious child secure. Having a fenced room becomes an essential solution for young children’s parents (especially those with stairways in their homes).
Child gates come as the first defense line for keeping little crawlers out of insecure areas and making your home babyproof. Leaving you confident about the toddler’s free movement zone, they allow executing daily tasks and watching over your kid without your it rolling around your legs. We scoured the market to help you discover what to seek in a baby gate and prepared the list of Amazon’s most prominent items. Let’s take a closer look.
Best Baby Gates of 2021 at a Glance
|Costzon||115 x 29 inches|
|Dreambaby Liberty||29.02 x 2.01 x 29.02 inches|
|Acrylic Clear||30 x 32 inches|
|Cumbor||30.5 x 29.5 inches|
|Kingmazi||29.52 x 32.28 inches|
|Regalo||76 x 1 x 30 inches|
|Toddleroo||38.3 x 72 x 30 inches|
|Summer Deluxe||48 x 2.5 x 32 inches|
|Safety 1st||28 x 1.8 x 28 inches|
|Bonnlo||74 x 29 inches|
|Ottolives||54 x 34 inches|
|Jaxpety||145.5 x 29 inches|
|Munchkin||29 x 2.25 x 37.25 inches|
|Yoofor||55 x 33 inches|
|Evenflo Multiuse||28 x 36 inches|
15. Costzon – Best Baby Gates for Wide Opening
If you are looking after the baby gate with various adjustable shape, check out the flexible Costzon. You can set it as a wide-opening barrier, five-wall closed playing ground, or a fireplace fence, depending on your home’s needs. The childproof double-locking mechanism allows easy and quick adults’ access with one-hand operation. Bearing a free-standing design, it is either foldable and extensible, allowing you to create your baby’s favorite shape.
- Acts like the wide-opening barrier enclosed playing ground and fireplace fence
- Childproof double-locking system
- Easy and quick adults’ access
- One-hand operation
- Free-standing design
- Foldable and extensible
- Wall-mounted hardware
- A strong connection between panels
- Leaves marks on the walls
14. Dreambaby Liberty – Best Rated Baby Gates for Stairs with Stay-Open Feature
Supporting many extension panels, the Dreambaby Liberty fits wide openings creating a safe place for your little ones. A pressure-mounted system is an excellent solution for both doorways and hallways. If you need a barrier at the top of the stairs, engage the included mounting kit to get a hardware-mounted solution for more safety. Thanks to the easy-to-remove feature, this gate is perfect for temporary and rental properties.
- Excellent for wide-openings
- Stay-open feature
- Optional pressure-mounted and hardware-mounted
- One-hand operation
- Easy installation
- Perfect for temporary and rental belongings
- Bulky to store when not in use
13. Acrylic Clear – Ultra-Modernistic Baby Gate
If you are looking for a modern design generous with safety features, the aesthetically pleasing Acrylic Clear got you covered. The elegant contemporary form prevents climbing and protects little hands from injuries by picking small holes. Enhanced with a double-locking system, the crystal-clear acrylic material allows you to keep your baby on the eye, amplifying the safety level. Featuring an auto-close lock, this mixture of security and beauty will be perfect for your lovely baby and pet.
- Ultra-modernistic design
- Cristal-clear view
- One-handed operation
- Auto-close lock
- Double-locking system
- Amplified safety level
- Easy to install
- May not stay open for long
- Little ones may not realize it is there
12. Cumbor – Best Child Safety Gate with Pressure and Drill Installation
The world-wide experienced Cumbor is an excellent option for most doors in your house. The double-lock safety release makes it difficult for children to open, while the comprehensive walk-through design allows you to pass by quickly, even with your baby in your arms. The durable steel construction can defend against substantial impacts, decreasing the risks of pushing down and hurting your little ones. You can remove it easily to create an adult-friendly zone again in minutes.
- Large and wide
- Walk-through design
- Durable steel construction
- Easy to install and remove
- Convenient for stairs, hallways, doorways and open spaces
- Pressure and drill installation
- One-hand opening
- Stays open if you do not push it
11. Kingmazi – Best Baby Gates for Stairs with Banisters
Bearing a pressure mount design, the functional Kingmazi can set up even your stairs have round pillars. The available U-shaped bolts help you easily install it and get a two-way opening solution with a double-locking system. It perfectly fits hallways, doorways and bottoms of stairs, too, and closes gently behind you. The adults will open the gate with one hand, leaving you confident about the baby’s safety.
- Pressure mount design
- Fits round pillars
- No drilling
- SGS certification
- Two-way opening
- Double-locking system
- Auto-close design
- One-hand opening
- Easy to install
- Suitable for many places
- Can contain sharp corners
Beneficial Sources for Practical Moms:
- Breast Pumps That Won’t Let You Down: 10 Best Manual Solutions
- Gain Comfort and Safety for Your Baby: 10 Best Baby Cribs
- Improve Your Lifestyle and Budget: 10 Best Infant Car Seats
- Top 10 Best Baby Bottles for Gas, Colic and Flux
- Turn Very First Steps into Adventure: 10 Best Baby Walkers
- Achieve Less Stressful & More Restful Parenting Nights: 10 Best Baby Monitors
- Keep Your Baby Entertained & Your Hands Relieved: 10 Best Baby Swings
- Precise Fever Detection: 10 Best Baby Thermometer
10. Regalo – Best Expandable Baby Gate with Door
If you seek big baby gates installing to the wall in minutes, the sturdy extra-wide Regalo is a perfect choice. The three removable 24″ steel panels are designed to fit odd-shaped or angled openings and span up to 76″ wide. The safety door lock keeps your baby secure inside the fenced area, allowing you to walk through by one-touch release. When you don’t need it as a fireplace barrier or a blocker to odd-shaped openings, fold it up accordion-style and lay it aside in the garage for more playing room.
- Sturdy 100% steel frame
- Installs to the wall in minutes
- Fits odd-shaped or angled openings
- Spans up to 76″ wide
- 30″ tall
- Includes 3 removable panels, supporting more extensions (additional panels are sold separately)
- Walk-through gate design
- Safety lock
- In some cases, the tightening knobs do not keep it straight
9. Toddleroo – Best Extra Wide Baby Gate
The extra-wide Toddleroo is an excellent wooden option to keep your tyke safe and secure. Versatile and reliable, it works great as a barrier on the carpet, tile, or hardwood floors without scratching. The bars with 2″ space apart disable the toys to be pulled through, while the double-locking system allows a childproof one-hand operation. You can make it longer with additional panels you can buy separately. Enhanced with metal construction, it is durable and convenient for extended use.
- Wooden bars enhanced with metal construction
- Works on carpet, tile, and hardwood floors without scratching
- Shuts with a straightforward push
- One-hand operation
- Double locking system
- Go-trough design
- Versatile and reliable
- Stylish matte bronze finish
- Some reports of weak screws
8. Summer Deluxe – Best Baby Gate for Stairs
Even it fits perfectly in stairways openings, you can use the Summer deluxe between doorways or hallways to keep your baby safe. It comes with an included kit that makes the installation process quick and easy. Featuring a super comfortable grip handle, it makes you open it in a one-hand release, which comes as a big deal when you’re bringing a cluster of toys plus your baby in your arms. The removable swing stop mechanism will disable the gate to swirl over stairs. The high-quality wood with an antique oak finish makes you childproof your house in style and enjoy peace of mind for a long.
- Accommodates most openings like stairways, doorways or hallways
- Easy and quick installation with an included kit
- Comfortable grip for one-hand release
- A removable swing stop mechanism
- Decorative and stylish
- Not convenient for wide openings
7. Safety 1st – Best Doorway Gates with SecureTech Indicator
Equipped with pressure-mounted installation, the sturdy Safety 1st requires no hardware for quick and easy settings in doorways. The magnetic latch allows you to walk through it by one-handed opening, and don’t worry about closening – the gate closes and locks automatically. At the same time, the SecureTech indicator lets you know the gate is secure. The adjustable width adapts the gate to most doorways in your home, while the discreet, functional design allows you to go-through quietly. Meeting ASTM standards for safety makes parenting bears fewer worries and more blissful moments.
- SecureTech indicator
- One-hand opening
- Fits doorways and spaces ranging from 29 to 38 inches wide
- Pressure mounted installation with no tools, drilling or hardware for quick and easy settings up
- Magnetic latch for close and lock automatically
- JPMA certified
- Adjustable from 29 to 38 inches
- Silent, hands-free close
- Baby-safe design
- Great for pets
- The magnet can weaken over time
6. Bonnlo – Best Swinging Baby Gate
If you are looking for a babygate swinging in both directions despite the sturdy construction, the configurable Bonnlo should find its place on your baby list. The removable panels are pivoting well over 270 degrees, making it great for almost every opening in your home. Combining integrated functions work perfectly as a baby gate, pet barrier for both doorways and stairways. You can mount brackets at whatever height you want and angle you need, making it excellent for every home needs. The attractive metal panels will make you rest assured your child is safe inside the fenced area.
- Configurable, pivoting panels
- Foldable for easy storage
- One-hand open
- Sturdy construction
- Attractive walk through design
- Closes and locks on its own
- Easy to set up
- Plastic joints can be perishable
5. Ottolives – Best Retractable Child Gates
The retractable indoor and outdoor Ottolives is perfect for the top and bottom of stairways, doorways, hallways both indoor and outdoor. Made of soft and robust mesh, it makes the playing environment safe and prevents the baby from hurting. You can open and close it quickly with one hand, making reaching the baby more straightforward. The high-quality transparent mesh allows you to watch over your child even on the opposite gate side. You can easily fold it and store to save your space when there is no need for your home’s safety formation.
- Convenient for indoor and outdoor use
- Perfect for tops and bottoms of stairways, doorways, hallways
- One-hand operation to open and close
- Designed with the smooth parallel gate movement system
- Big easy-to-use buckle
- Robust and soft mesh preventing bumps and bruises
- Can be cut by sharp items
4. Jaxpety – Best Metal Baby Gate
The 2-way opening Jaxpety offers spacious room for your baby to play, making the safety barriers for fireplace and extra-long straight fence when you need to separate different places. Containing 6 panels, it can be quickly configured to a hexagon, C, or linear shape depending on your home potential and according to your needs. The heavy-duty metal frame is embellished with powder coating, which makes it sturdy and rust-resistant. Allowing you to pass through in both directions makes you open the door by pressing the safety lock and access quickly.
- Sturdy metal frame
- Wall-mounted bracket for immobility
- Safety-lock door
- Adjustable rotating joints
- Extra-wide barrier
- Offers spacious playing yard
- 180 degrees two-way opening
- Opening by simple pressing the safety lock and lifting the door in one hand
- Plastic joints can be broken
- Most expensive on the list
3. Munchkin – Best Multiuse Baby Gate
The top of the stairs is the most dangerous place in your house for your walking baby, so consider the fully assembled Muchkin to reduce the risks of your child’s fallings over the stairway. Including hardware option for added safety, the doors lock straightforward with an effortless push to close feature. The double-locking system ensures your toddler is safe, making the gate hard to use for children and simple for adults. Loaded with extension panels, it can be used for wider openings and create barriers between rooms.
- Great for tops of stairs
- Supports additional extensions
- Pressure mounted installation
- Included hardware option for added safety
- Easy lock with a simple push to close feature
- Double-locking system
- Strong steel for ultimate durability and strength
- Extensions can make it unstraight
2. Yoofor – Best Folding Safety Gates for Stairs
If you are looking for super tall baby gates that fit any stairs or door openings in your home, look no further. The easy-to-move Yoofor is designed to be easily detached from the gate mount hardware to another place where another set of hardware can be installed. The foldable design allows you to retract it away wholly when not in use, making it space-efficient. Bearing a unique locking mechanism, it provides superior safety to your child and easy opening for you. The package contains 2 hardware attachments, allowing you to install the barrier at the two most dangerous spots in your home.
- Retractable design
- Adjustable to any stairs and doors width
- One-hand operation
- Unique double-locking mechanism
- Aluminum alloy roll mandrel
- Works as a baby and pet gate
- The robust and soft mesh prevents bumps and bruisings
- Meets and exceeds EN standards
- Comes with installation template
- Can be installed on the flat, hard wall or solid wood only
1. Evenflo Multiuse – Best Baby Gate for Top of Stairs Inside or Outside
The versatile Evenflo will help you create a decorative, babyproof home in minutes. Allowing you to choose between a pressure-mounted and hardware-mounted installation for extra security, it works for almost every doorway or stairway in your house. The sturdy, metal construction is convenient for indoor and outdoor, keeping your home safe and embellished. Easy-to-attach expansion panels are available to widen the barriers according to the home’s needs. Opening in both directions and one-hand latch with a red-and-green indicator will facilitate your passing through even with hands full of miscellany.
- Optionally pressure and hardware mounted installation
- Opening in both directions ideal for high-traffic zone
- Closes without excessive noise
- Decorative design and sleek black finish
- Sturdy metal construction
- Convenient for children and pets
- Auto-close hinge
- Hardware-mounting requires some extra work
Tips on Choosing Best Baby Safety Gates
- Safety – First of all, you should check if the model you choose meets and exceeds safety standards. You can check if it hasn’t been recalled on the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) and JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association).
- Home needs – Consider the location you will mount it and choose based on home needs.
- Locking mechanism – Look for the locking system meeting your needs. You can select the model with locking by pressing a button, the auto-close tool, or lifting-up. It would be best if you keep in mind your little one will become skilled at opening soon, so pick the model that doesn’t need to be upgraded or quickly changed.
- Height – Choose the option of preventing your baby climbs over.
- Width – Measure the space you want to make childproof to ensure everything fits tightly.
- Design and material – Look for easy-to-clean material and design suiting your interior.
- Easy-to-install – You will appreciate a straightforward installing process without special tools and skills.
- Pet-doors – If you have a pet, models with passages for your little friends will be useful and still keep your child secure.
- Permanently closed or walk through gates – You can choose from permanently divided rooms and door entrances or retractable mesh.
- Avoid sharp angles – In order to reduce the baby’s injuries and bruisings, look for round corners.
Types of Baby Gates
According to various babies’ and parents’ requirements, there is a broad range of available child safety gates. In many possibilities, you will find the one fitting your home’s needs. Read the text below to consider the features you are looking for before you make your final pick.
- Hardware-mounted baby gates: Including wall-mounted and doorway-mounted models, they fit perfectly the stairs’ tops and bottoms. They are more secure, leave marks on the walls, and always require a little extra installation.
- Pressure-mounted baby gates: They are a good option for doorways when you need a temporary barrier and don’t want marks on the walls. They are less secure than hardware-mounted models, so avoid them for stairways.
- Baby gates for stairs: You need it the most when your baby starts to walk in your house loaded with steps. The stair gate for babies decreased the frequency of injuries and made parents more confident. They come in many different designs to make your home childproof in a decorative way.
- Baby gates with doors: If you are terrified by stepping over the walls, you should consider the walk through baby gate. Many designs feature the both-ways swinging door, some bear the auto-close system, swinging doors in both ways, so think about what matters for you and pick the model fitting your requirements.
- Step–over toddler gates: They offer quicker access because they don’t require locking and keep your hands free, but it can be annoying to step over barriers every time you go in and out. They are perfect for children who can not climb over them yet.
- Freestanding kids gates: You can move them around according to your home needs, allowing you to relocate the baby’s playing ground to keep it on the eye. This type will not work for stairs.
- Retractable gates: Foldable and removable solutions are handy for temporary fencing, allowing you to roll them out for more room.
- Extra–long baby gates: You will be thankful to separate rooms and make a childproof environment in your home full of extra-wide doorways or hallways. They usually support add-ons to provide the extra width you are looking for.
- Tall safety gates: They bear extra height for the tops of the stairs and come as a treasure when your little one grows up enough to climb over a shorter model.
- Kids gates with a pet door: Keeping your baby safe inside the barriers while your pet gets around will make your day easier.