10 Best Baby Detergents for 2021, According to Moms
Laundry is a way of life when you’ve got a newborn, but not just any detergent will meet your expectations. Due to their sensitive skin, you might want to consider swapping your regular product for something gentler. Here’s what you have to know in order to find the best baby detergent.
10 Best Baby Laundry Detergents (2021)
10. Mama Bear Laundry Detergent – Best Selling Newborn Detergent on Amazon
Mama Bear Laundry Detergent (53 loads) is a brand exclusive to Amazon, and It is up there with some of the best and most well-known brands on the market. It’s created with a 95% organic formula and is 100% biodegradable. This product works well for children with sensitive skin and conditions like eczema while maintaining adequate strength to fight off tough stains. Along with brands such as Puracy and Babyganics, this detergent is just as natural and efficient.
- 95% natural and organic; no harmful additives or dyes;
- Effective stain remover;
- Excellent for sensitive skin;
- Free of artificial scents.
- Not hypoallergenic.
9. Molly’s Suds Original Laundry Powder Detergent – Best for Hard Water
Molly’s Suds Original Laundry Powder Detergent (120 loads) is both gentle and powerful. It contains only five ingredients without any harmful chemicals. Certified and vegan-friendly, it also includes organic peppermint essential oil to give the detergent itself a pleasant scent. It can be used in either HE or traditional machines and efficient in hot or cold water. Plus, it’ll get baby clothes clean and shine in hard water — while it only takes one tablespoon of detergent per load.
- Can be applied in hard or soft water;
- Can be utilized in hot or cold water;
- Contains no harsh chemicals;
- Features A rating from EWG;
- Super-concentrated and natural product.
- Peppermint oil can cause skin irritation.
8. Purex Liquid Laundry Detergent for Baby – Best Budget Baby Detergent
Dye-free and hypoallergenic, Purex Liquid Laundry Detergent for Baby (57 loads) holds up as a #1 choice for those on a budget, costing $.07 per load. Dermatologists have tested this detergent to make sure it is safe for your baby’s sensitive skin. Still, this may not be your top option if your child is sensitive to fragrances or moderate to eczema. Plus, it can be used in either your regular or HE machine.
- It can be applied in any washing machine;
- Gentle and hypoallergenic;
- Easy to use lid;
- Most pleasant scent.
- It’s not a natural product;
- Added fragrance.
7. Biokleen Laundry Detergent – Best Natural Baby Laundry Detergent
When it comes to being eco-friendly, the Biokleen Laundry Detergent is the winner on our list. Packaged in 100% recycled newspaper and cardboard material, this package contains 70% less plastic than traditional laundry detergent bottles. The manufacturer also claims that this baby-safe laundry detergent doesn’t have any adverse effects on streams or rivers. This product is highly concentrated, and a 64-ounce bottle will help you accomplish 128 loads of laundry! Plus, this detergent is excellent for use in your high-efficiency washing machine!
- Cleans tough odors and stains successfully;
- Free of caustics, borax, and metasilicates;
- Eco-friendly, non-toxic, and plant-based;
- Highly-concentrated product;
- Provides 128 loads of laundry.
- May leave white residue on certain materials.
6. Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent – Best Hypoallergenic Baby Detergent
Tide is the highest-selling detergent brand globally, and this hypoallergenic, dye-, and perfume-free version won’t disappoint you and your baby. Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent (64 loads) is also recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation and National Eczema Association as a safe laundry detergent for sensitive skin. This product can easily use a cap that drains back into the bottle and contains sodium citrate as a hard water softener.
- Easy to find and simple to use lid;
- Hypoallergenic, dye-, and perfume-free;
- Free of harmful chemicals;
- Appropriate for the whole family;
- Suitable for hand and machine washing.
- Staining issue.
More Resources for Fresh Moms
- 15 Most Reliable Baby Gates for Doorways and Stairs
- Top 10 Bottle Sterilizers for 2021 – Reviews, Guide & FAQs
- 10 Results-Proven Baby Bottles for Gas, Colic and Flux
- 10 Ideal Baby Cribs for Safety and Comfort
- 10 Top-Rated Baby Thermometers for Fever Detection
- 10 Perfect Infant Car Seats for Your Lifestyle and Wallet
- 7 Fantastic Baby Food Grinders You’ll Love in 2021
- 10 Best Baby Food Makers (2021 Reviews & Buyer’s Guide)
- 10 Superior Baby Walkers to Keep Your Baby Safe and Sound
- 10 Top-Notch Baby Monitors for the Day and Night
5. Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent – Best Concentrated Baby Detergent
Designed exclusively for babies with sensitive skin and allergies, Puracy’s laundry detergent is made from plant-derived ingredients. Also, Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent earns an A rating with the Environmental Working Group (EWG). It arrives in a no-mess pump bottle and is uber-concentrated — one 24-ounce bottle delivers a whopping 96 loads of laundry. Since this detergent is HE washing-machine compatible, you can use it with whatever type of machine you have.
- Vegan and plant-based;
- It has no allergens;
- Developed by doctors;
- It isn’t the best option for removing severe stains.
4. Babyganics 3X Laundry Detergent – Best Baby Detergent for Sensitive Skin
Babyganics 3X Laundry Detergent (60 loads) is a gentle, plant-based clothes cleaner that’s free of brighteners, chlorine, phosphates, phthalates, dyes, and artificial fragrances. It’s also sulfate-free, a very common additive in laundry detergents that’s a proven scalp and skin irritant. While this isn’t a powerhouse at eliminating caked-on stains (pre-treat!), this product is triple concentrated, so you can apply less detergent for each load and still get wee clothes super-clean.
- Non-allergenic and dermatologist tested;
- Triple concentrated and HE compatible product;
- Safe for cloth diapers;
- Formulated with plant-extracted ingredients;
- It doesn’t make the duds itchy.
3. Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent – Best Baby Detergent For Stains
This biodegradable, non-toxic, hypoallergenic detergent contains 96% plant-based ingredients and zero chemical brighteners, powerful natural enzymes that clean and gleam baby’s clothes. While some super-gentle detergents lack the power to destroy stains, Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent (99 loads) works well on spit-up stains, milk spills, and more. It’s not fragrance-free, but the light scent comes from botanical extracts and plant-based essential oils. Plus, it’s a biobased product that’s been certified by the USDA.
- Certified bio-based product;
- Easy to find in stores;
- Works excellent on baby stains;
- Includes plant and mineral-based ingredients;
- The container is recyclable.
- Contains possible irritants.
2. Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder – Best Baby Detergent for Cloth Diapers
Charlie’s Soap Laundry Powder (300 loads) is a powerhouse at cleaning cloth diapers. Charlie’s Soap was initially formulated as an industrial cleaner, so it really kicks the poop out, and it eliminates any residue your previous detergent left behind on clothes and the machine. It’s hypoallergenic, biodegradable, non-toxic and parabens- and chemical-free. This detergent is fragrance-free, and baby’s clothes, towels and sheets will emerge from the washer completely odorless. And, since it’s so concentrated, it’s a great value also.
- Very economical;
- No fragrance or other irritating ingredients;
- Safe for high-efficiency machines and all types of washable fabrics;
- Eco-friendly cleaning power;
- Hypoallergenic product.
- It may not work well with hard water.
1. Dreft Stage 1 – Best Baby Laundry Detergent
Dreft is a brand with 80 years of history, along with the recommendations of thousands of pediatricians. It was developed primarily with newborn babies in mind, knowing that their skin needs were different and more sensitive than adults. Dreft Stage 1 (32 loads) is hypoallergenic and free of dyes. This very best detergent for babies features a light scent and has been clinically tested for effectiveness. It’s safe to use on cloth diapers if they’re cotton or a poly/cotton blend.
- Recommended by pediatricians;
- Developed particularly with babies in mind;
- Hypoallergenic and good on stains;
- Easy to use lid;
- Eco friendly.
- High price per load.
Below is all you have to know before buying the best detergent for baby clothes.
There are 3 main types of laundry detergents available — powder, liquid, and pods.
Powder – Powder detergents typically come in a cardboard box with a scoop. They have been around since the 1930s and are less expensive than liquid or pods per load.
- Environmentally friendly packaging;
- Better performance on ground-in stains.
- Work in hard water.
- Difficult to pre-treat;
- The packaging isn’t durable.
Liquid – Liquid is the most popular type of laundry detergent, comprising 75% of all sales. These detergents come in a bottle with a pouring tap or spout, and you use a plastic cup to measure the proper amount of product.
- Suitable to pre-treat;
- Satisfactory performance on greasy stains;
- Easy to use.
- Not environmentally friendly;
Pods – Laundry detergent pods or packs appeared in 2012 as one of the biggest laundry industry changes in more than 50 years. They’re pre-measured portions of detergent that can be tossed directly into the machine before adding clothes.
- Littles space for error (pre-measured);
- Effective performance;
- Attractive to kids (poison risk).
How to Choose the Laundry Detergent for Baby?
When picking a laundry detergent, take into account the following:
- Powder or liquid – Skip laundry pods due to the safety risk for small children. Go for a powder or liquid detergent based on personal preference. Powders tend to work better, but liquids are less bulky as they can be super-concentrated;
- High-efficiency or regular – If you have a high-efficiency washer, you have to be sure you select a laundry detergent that’s approved for such use. Seek a HE designation on the front of the product’s package, indicating it’s safe to use in high-efficiency machines. These detergents won’t create as many suds, which will rinse cleaner and also prevent damage to your HE washing machine;
- Dye- and fragrance-free – To destroy potential irritants, choose a detergent with no added fragrances or dyes. These aren’t required to clean your baby’s duds (they only color the detergent itself or add a pleasing aroma or) and do nothing to increase the product’s cleaning power;
- Plant-based and chemical-free – For the lowest overall environmental impact, buy a plant-based product. While this doesn’t warrant it won’t irritate your baby’s skin (there are plenty of naturally-occurring things that trigger allergic reactions), and it does have a lower risk than synthetic detergents;
- Hypoallergenic – This means the manufacturer claims the detergent causes fewer allergic reactions than those that aren’t labeled as such. But the FDA doesn’t regulate the use of the term “hypoallergenic,” so there’s no guarantee it’s the ideal laundry detergent for babies with sensitive skin;
- No brighteners – Brighteners are chemicals that stay in the fabric and absorb the sun’s UV to brighten the colors. This is just an aesthetic benefit and doesn’t affect the cleanliness of the clothes. To minimize chemical exposure, avoid it.
It’s a cleaning solution used to clean clothes in particular, and infants’ utensils in general. The product is specially formulated for babies with gentle cleansing chemicals that are derived from nature, no lightening agents, no dyes, safe for infants.
Laundry detergents for babies are all different. When you choose a cleanser, see if it’s dermatologically tested and certified. If so, then you can rely on such a product.
As a rule of thumb, use about a tablespoon of detergent for regular load size. Don’t pour or put too much solution into the washer since it may cause residues on the duds.