All About Mastectomy Bras + 4 Most Elegant Models for 2021
Women who’ve passed through any kind of breast surgery know how difficult it can be to come back to challenges that everyday life brings. Still, as our beloved Freddie Mercury says, the show must go on. Luckily, thanks to the revolution of nowadays’ equipment and medical care, there are many ways of successful post-surgical recovery. When it comes to mastectomy or lumpectomy, most women can’t decide whether they’re going to use the prosthesis or not – that’s quite understandable since not all of them feel the same dose of comfort and confidence under such circumstances. This article will provide you with the most vital concepts about breast prosthesis and its use – you’ll see the most common types of it, among which is a mastectomy bra.
What is Breast Prosthesis?Breast prosthesis or a breast form is an artificial breast that is mostly made of silicone, foam, or fiberfill, and it is used to simulate the natural shape of a breast. The prosthesis is used by those women who’ve had one or both breasts removed, due to cancer or some other illness. It can be worn inside the bra or attached to the body using a special adhesive. Wearing a prosthesis is a matter of a personal choice, and no woman is obliged to have one. If you decide to purchase a breast form right after the surgery, make sure you consult your doctor about that first.
What are the Benefits of Having a Breast Prosthesis?
Women who choose to wear a prosthesis after the surgery mostly do it because they want to wear clothes they used to wear before and to make their body look symmetrical. In addition to these benefits, here are other ones as well:
- Warmth: The prosthesis will provide you with warmth and good feeling, which is quite an essential thing to achieve after the surgery.
- Protection: After surgery, it's vital to take good care of your scars on the chest. With a prosthesis, you can be sure that your operated area is protected from potential injuries that would slow the recovery.
- Balance: The prosthesis will help you balance your posture – that way, you’ll prevent potential back pain, neck pain, shoulder drop, or curvature of the spine.
- Bra fitting: Without a breast form, a bra is more prone to riding up and moving, which can be annoying, especially during the recovery period.
What is a Mastectomy Bra?A mastectomy bra is special kind of bra that’s got pockets to hold breast prosthesis. It comes in multiple different styles and colors, and they are made of high-quality materials that provide much more comfort than the regular bras do. Speaking of the size, it is recommended to visit a certified breast form fitter who would determine the right size of the bra. Many of them will measure your bust together with a prosthesis since that’s a better way to find an accurate size.
- Wire-free: Mastectomy bras usually don’t have an underwire since it can irritate scar tissue or sensitive skin after the surgery.
- Soft, padded cups: The pads will provide a smooth look, especially if there’s an uneven tissue that is the consequence of the operation.
- Center front and underband: All prosthetic bras come with a center front and underband that are convenient for covering the scar tissue, as well as helping the bra to stay in its place.
- Supportive side seams: Wide seams found under the arms can help hide the scar tissue and provide more support to the bra in general.
- Padded straps: Most mastectomy bras come with wide, padded straps that are quite suitable and comfortable.
What are the Types of Prosthetic Brassieres?Mastectomy bras come in diverse types and designs, and all of them are suitable for different purposes. Let's see what the most common ones are:
- Everyday bras: These bras are convenient for wearing them for work, school, weekends, and during other daily activities.
- Seduction bras: Elegant and sexy bras are made for women who want to keep a positive body image and boost their confidence even after hard times. These styles are colorful and trendy, and they'll make you feel beautiful in your skin.
- Sports bras: Workouts and physical activity are great ways of maximizing health and keeping fit, and that’s why there is a mastectomy sports bra that will help you come back to the game.
- Strapless bras: Special occasions require special bras, and that’s why there’s a strapless one that comes with built-in pockets for breast form – a classy choice for strapless tops and dresses.
- Leisure bras: Leisure bras are similar to sleeping bras since they're made for night hours or a day nap. They are suitable to wear right after the surgery because of the significant dose of comfort they bring.
- Built-in shelf bras: This might be the best solution for the recovery period. Built-in shelf bras don't require fastening additional hooks, and you'll feel as if you weren't wearing a bra at all.
- Bikini tops and bathing suits: Believe it or not, you can find a mastectomy swimwear as well. It comes with built-in pockets, and they require a special swim form that will allow you to show your body with confidence.
Best Mastectomy Bras in 2021As you’ve seen so far, this kind of bra’s got a variety of different designs suitable for every occasion. In continuation, we’ll show you some of the most prominent ones that will make you feel confident and beautiful.
This bra model is made of soft materials, and it’s stretchy, which allows you to pull it over your head or to step onto it, which is quite convenient for the after-surgery period. It can be used as an everyday, leisure, and sports bra since it’s made of breathable material – besides, it’s got the sheer panel in the front which allows the air to flow seamlessly. The adjustable straps allow you to convert the bra into the racerback style, and that’s excellent if you want to achieve more support. It comes in two colors, black and nude, and due to its softness and wire-free style, it will enhance the scar healing. Overall, this bra for mastectomy patients will make you feel sexy and comfy at the same time, and it’s excellent to wear it during recovery and beyond.
Every woman needs a bra for special occasions that require wearing strapless dresses or tops. This strapless bra can be handy for placing your mastectomy bra inserts, and it will allow you to wear your most elegant clothes and look damn good in it. It’s got molded and seamless cups, and it comes with detachable straps that allow you to create more versatile looks. The fabrics are quite smooth and breathable, but since it’s wired, it’s not recommended to wear it right after the surgery – the best would be to wait a couple of weeks until your scar is entirely healed.
This is a double mastectomy bra that provides you with a significant dose of comfort and support. It’s seamless, wireless, and the cups are lined with pockets for mastectomy bra inserts. It works as a T-shirt bra since the cups are crafted from soft microfiber with a laser-cut edge, which makes it invisible beneath the garments. It comes in three colors, and it’s elegantly designed – overall, a fantastic solution for everyday activities, including work, lectures, walks, or any other events.
It’s essential to stay active even after the surgery. That way, your organism will recover more quickly, and you’ll feel much better. That being said, here comes a mastectomy sports bra that will help you get in shape and boost motivation. This sports bra is made of moisture-wicking material, making sure your chest area won’t get sweaty after the workout. It’s got a high front neckline that provides full coverage and more support, and the front zip pattern makes allows you to take it on and off more easily. It comes in multiple sizes, and it’s suitable for every woman – overall, it’s one of the best mastectomy sports bras you can find on the market.
RELATED BRA ARTICLES:
- What is Demi Bra
- Just Zip it – Zip Front Sports Bra
- Sports Bra Eye-Opening Guide
- 10 Best Bra Brands You Must Have
- 5 Things That Influence Your Breast Size
- 11 Ultimate Bra Hacks
- Push Up Bra – Breasts Best Friend and Enhancer
- 10 Best Running Bra
- Transparent Bra - Models and Styles
- Find Best Wireless Bra